Fountain Gardens are located on the northern fringe of Paisley town centre with the main entrance on Love Street and another entrance on Caledonia Street. This is Paisley's oldest public garden, being developed on the site of the earlier Hope Temple Gardens, which were created by John Love in 1797. John Love was a local manufacturer after whom Love Street was named. The gardens were put up for sale in 1866 and bought by Thomas Coats of Ferguslie, an industrialist who with his brothers ran the Paisley thread manufacturing company J&P Coats.
Thomas Coats had the site redesigned with a grand, geometric layout with broad walkways all leading to an ornate fountain at the centre containing statues of herons, dolphins and walruses. This A-listed fountain has been restored to it's original colours and the water works until sunset. A statue of Robert Burns was erected in the Gardens in the 1890s. The cost of the statue was funded from money raised by concerts given by the Tannahill Choir (1884 - 95) which took place on the Gleniffer Braes. The statue is reputed to be the finest Burns statues in Britain.